- Get copies of your full credit reports from all three credit bureaus: Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax.
- You can get your credit reports free once a year, at www.annualcreditreport.com or by 1-877-322-8228.
- Look for all incorrect information on your credit report and dispute the items because mistakes can happen.
- If you see any mistakes or questionable items, make a copy of the report and highlight the error.
- Gather any information that you have to back up your claim and make copies of these as well.
- Write a letter to the specific credit reporting agency that shows and explain the mistake and include a copy of the highlighted report along with your proof.
- Send your letter by certified mail, and keep a copy for yourself.
- The reporting agency has 30 days from the receipt of your letter to respond
- Pay all of your bills on time
- Pay down debt (especially credit card debt)
- Avoid applying for credit
Contact me for more assistance and look for more articles in the near future!